Saturday, 25 September 2010

Misses, Short Lists, and an Advance Copy

I don't submit much and I don't submit often, but recently I've been unable to break a string of rejections. I submitted to Shock Totem and was rejected. I submitted to the 50 Stories for Pakistan, but didn't make the cut (quite gutted as there was a 1 in 5 chance of publication with that one, and I really wanted to be included in such a great project). I have one more submission 'out there'... keeping my fingers crossed.

Already feeling very down about my ability as a writer, these rejections really didn't help. I know I have to have a tough skin... It's something I'm still working on.

But in this morning's post I received quite an awesome rejection. Though I hadn't made the final cut, one of my poems, 'The Hiding Place', had been short listed in the annual Mslexia Poetry Competition. I was chuffed. I entered last year and didn't hear anything back. So this year I got one step closer. Quite encouraging.

In other news, the Hint Fiction Anthology has nearly reached its publication date. On November 1st, you'll be able to get your hands on a copy. I received an email this morning saying my contributor copy will be in the post shortly. I'm very excited about seeing it, and my huge 25 word story!


Here's Robert Swartwood opening the box of advance copies.


And here's tortoise Franklin having a read. I think the brevity of the stories is keeping him pretty engaged.

3 comments:

  1. Don't worry Sophie. Eventually the pain of the R letters goes away. I also didn't make the cut for the 50 stories of Pakistan. And I didn't make it into the Hint Fiction anthology - so, you've done well! Enjoy the good bits and ignore the rest. Franklin looks very intelligent!
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am having a string of the 'Nahs'.

    Very cool about Mslexia - a while ago I had an 'almost' from them and found myself jumping up and down.

    It's nice timing with the Hint Fiction anthology, a reward from something you sewed a while ago.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...