Tuesday, 27 July 2010

Submission Managers for Indie Publishers

I recently came across this online submissions manager for independent publishers. Submishmash (submishmash.com) is a free service and has a lot of useful-looking features such as defaul letter-drafting and statatistical analysis. However, the biggest turn-off for me is that a writer will have to sign up to submit. Another hope to jump through. I wonder if this would put writers off. On the other hand, they will be able to track their submission through the website, as well as their submissions with other publishers who use Submishmash.

HTMLGIANT reviewed the service well. I noticed that PANK magazine has recently started using this system, as do Word Riot.

I wonder if writers are more likely to jump through an extra hoop to submit to established 'zines. I wonder if a start-up 'zine would suffer if they chose this method.

On the other hand, this may filter out the half-assed submissions from people who don't bother to read the guidelines. In the age of the internet, people are looking for quick, free, easy ways to get published - not all people, but a lot of people. Will signing up to a site such as Submishmash filter out some of these types of submission? Is that a good or a bad thing?

Just some general thoughts here.

Writers and publishers - what do you think?

As a writer, would such a system put you off? Why/why not?

As a publisher, if you've used submissions managers, what was your experience? If you haven't used them, would you consider it?

3 comments:

  1. I think it is a very simple and effective submission process, one that simplifies things for both writer and editor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just checked out the site. It wouldn't put me off and I love to know where I am in the submission process.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the feedback, Sara and Cate - I appreciate it.

    Forms don't usually put me off at all, but if I have to sign up for something, that might. I guess it would depend on the publication for me, though.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...