Wednesday, 28 July 2010

Nick Cave to remake The Crow


I love The Crow. I love the 1994 film (but not the terrible sequels), and I loved James O'Barr's graphic novel even more. Usually when I hear of a remake, I despair. But after hearing Nick Cave is to rewrite the original script, making it closer to the original graphic novel, I became quite excited.

I've not listened to much of Nick Cave's music beyond the soundtrack for The Proposition - which, coincidentally, is my preferred music to write to at the moment. Not only did Cave write the music for this film, he also wrote the screenplay. The Proposition is set during the colonisation of Australia and follows the story of an outlaw facing a difficult decision. The desolate shots of landscape, the minimalistic music and use of dialogue make this a beautiful yet unsettling piece of cinema.

I am very interested to see what Cave can bring to The Crow franchise. Will it be darker than the original? Can a serious film ever be made about a man dressed as a crow and out for revenge (a criticism of the new Batman films)? What will Cave bring to the soundtrack?

I, for one, am intrigued.

(I'd love to see Cillian Murphy in the lead role... But that's just me. I love that guy.)

5 comments:

  1. Holy shit! The Crow is easily on my top 10 list of movies and NIck Cave is in my top 3 musical artists. I have died and gone to heaven.

    Now, as you wait for the release of this film, do yourself a favor and check out the Best Of album from Mr. Cave and his Bad Seeds. That one and his Murder Ballads album are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Proposition was an awesome film. John Hillcote is an excellent film maker (although, I've not seen The Road yet).

    I have Nick Cave's And The Ass Saw The Angel on my to read pile. looks right up my street from the blurb.

    How's the novel coming along?

    Rich

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Barry, will do!

    Rich, I keep meaning to see The Road. Actually, I think I'll go put it on my Love Film list now. I've not heard of that book. Will keep an eye out for it.

    Novel is kinda coming along. Very slowly. Lack of time yadda yadda. But I have a much clearer outline in my head now, so I feel like I'm finding direction and moving forwards. How's your's?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ah, whaddaya know, The Road was already on my list! Bumped it up to 'High Priority'.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is interesting, though I'm a huge fan of the first Crow movie and I'm not sure whether a remake will be better or worse. Thanks for the link to the Batman diatribe also. I felt compelled to put in my two cents, since I disagree wholeheartedly with the author of said post.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...