Wednesday, 5 May 2010

Cars, Books and Finding the Time

My old banger of a car has been slowly deteriorating. It is currently down my dad's workshop, and will probably need the clutch replacing. I only live a few miles from work. I walked home yesterday and it took me nearly an hour. I walked to the train station today, which took me about twenty-five minutes, and then got the train. In total, nearly an hour from door to door again.

It's made me realise that I'm terribly unfit (I knew that anyway). It's a bit of a pain having to walk, but perhaps if I do it all this week, I might start to feel a bit fitter. Nice to get a bit of air and exercise instead of driving to work, sitting at a desk all day, driving back and sitting in front of the TV/laptop all evening.

Which brings me onto my next point. I'm always complaining that I don't have time to write, or that I'm too tired after work to write. I'm going to try and change that.

A little while ago, I posted on here that I was going to try to write a novel. Well, after my idea had gone round my head a few times, I concluded that it was boring.

When I was about sixteen, a group of us wrote a short fantasy story for an English assignment. I tried to turn it into a novel, but didn't get very far. Recently, I've been thinking about that story again. I went to dig out my folder of notes for it... but I must have thrown them away when I 'sorted out' my room. I'm very annoyed at myself.

I think I have what I wrote on a disk somewhere. This week I'm going to dig it out and see how bad it is. I'm going to flesh out an outline, and start writing. I might have a go at writing in my lunch hour at work - though I usually like to get away from my desk for a bit. Might try writing in the evening, and... possibly... the morning. I'm incredibly lazy, though, and not a morning person. But I feel like I should try, and see what slots suit me best.

I know of lots of writers who have full time jobs and a family to look after. I don't have the family stuff, and I don't have a very long commute (usually - bar the car trouble), so I know that I don't really have an excuse.

Small, gradual changes are needed, I think.

4 comments:

  1. Yep, it's brutal. I've struggled with it for years, managing to squeeze out a handful of short stories, two unfinished scripts, and one unfinished novel. It was until this year (when I'm 28 years old) that I finally got a fire lit and finished a screenplay and started submitting short stories. It depends on how you view it. I used to dream of being the next Steven King, build an empire on my own writing schedule ... but that's a pipe dream. Write for the love of writing and let fate decide if you can make a living at it. When you view it that way, you'll find the energy at the end of the day. Even if it's just half a page. Slowly it will all come together. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cool. Good luck with the novel, Sophie.

    You know, you can save loads of time just by getting your hair cut really, really short.

    Cheers,
    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi JR, thanks for popping by. I'm going to try to cling to my pipe dream as long as I can. It won't ever happen if I give up on it ;) There is most certainly an element of luck to it all. But it also takes a lot of planning and effort too.

    Thanks, Bob. How is your novel coming along? What do you mean about my hair? Are you implying I spend a long time styling it? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Master the art of walking and reading, and you'll walk to work even when your car is fixed. It sounds crazy (and people in the village will talk) but man, I stormed through books back when I lived near enough to do it.

    Rich

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...