Thursday, 18 March 2010

Writing, writing, writing... Reading, reading, reading!

Busy, busy, busy!

I've done a fair bit of writing recently. Not a huge amount, but considering I have a full time job and I'm starting my own magazine, I've done more than I thought I would.

My New Year's Resolution was to write 500 words a week. I haven't kept that resolution. It didn't work for me. But you know what IS working for me? Contests!

I'm partaking in the Critters Bar writing forum's Flash League III. It's in its 8th week now. I've written an original piece for each round. The prompts get my juices flowing, and my incredibly competitive nature spurs me on.

Likewise, I've written something for Shock Totem's monthly flash competition.

And of course, I've been reading all the submissions for both of these things. There is a lot. Only a handful each week for the Critters Bar contest (though it is weekly), and there were a good 30 entrants to the Shock Totem contest - which is about 30,000 words.

Not only have I been reading contest entries, I've been reading submission entries for Inkspill Magazine. The submission deadline has just passed for Issue 1. I have been drafting up the content I've commissioned so far into InDesign to make sure I haven't over-commissioned. I have about 3/4 of the content, and so have to choose the best few stories from the remaining 50 submissions I have in my inbox. In total, I've probably read about 200 submissions for this first issue.

Luckily for me, I work in publishing, and some of the girls at work have offered to help out with the next issue. I may take them up on that offer sooner than I planned! I'd always intended to build a team for the magazine, so seems like the perfect place to start.

So that's been my last two months: shitloads of reading and writing! Who'd have thunk!?

2 comments:

  1. Keeping busy I see. Sounds like you have a lot on your plate, but only good things! Enjoy all the reading and writing!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very cool, Sophie! Best of luck with the mag!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...