Monday, 1 March 2010

Goodbye WordVooDoo


I haven't posted much recently as I've been extremely busy with work, with my magazine project (full post about that another day!), with family, and with a little project called WordVooDoo.

In my second year of university, I volunteered to help moderate a creative writing project called WordVooDoo, run online by Mr Savage, a teacher at George Mitchell School, London. And I've been a moderator there ever since.

Selected pupils from the school, aged between 12-16, anonymously posted their responses to creative challenges, set by Mr Savage. The team of moderators were allocated about three students each, and commented on their posted work, offering advice and encouragement.

The standard has been impressive, and it has been a pleasure to see the students improve.

A 'Junior WordVooDoo' was even run for a little while.

But it would be impossible for projects like this not to run into a few problems here and there, and after several years, the project has come to an end.

To go out with a bang, the project's last task was competition-styled. I spent a few hours this weekend reading and commenting on my students' last pieces of work, and reading through all the students' entries. I sent my judgments via email to Mr Savage, who will announce the winners soon. Prizes include book tokens, and a year's worth of mentoring from some of the moderators.

All the students are extremely talented, and I hope that they all continue to write creatively. I only wish there had been a project like this when I was at school!

(image by 'blended-notes')

4 comments:

  1. That sounds like such a great time. I wish I had that when I was in school too!

    I love that picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like a really cool project to be involved with. No worries on the lack of posts... I'm in the same boat. Life can be demanding at times

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like worth while work. I've always wanted to teach kids, but I flunked Art College so it's a pipe dream.

    Do you reckon you'd consider teaching? Loads of writers use it as a 2nd profession.

    Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'd love to teach creative writing. But I don't feel qualified to do so... yet! Not thought about teaching kids... I'm not very good with kids and controlling them. Luckily for me, this was an online project, and they all wanted to be there!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...