Tuesday, 2 February 2010

A Day in the Life... #1

Perhaps I don't blog enough about my experiences as an editorial assistant. Seems that it might be something people would want to read about... (Correct me if I'm wrong!) I've written several more general posts about my job, such as 7 Weeks as an Editorial Assistant. Well, I've now been in my position for about three and a half months. And I'm feeling pretty settled.

I got to work at five past nine. I usually aim for nine o'clock, though as long as you're in before half nine and you do all your hours, no one seems to mind. I was late because I'm not a morning person and it takes every shred of my energy to drag myself out of bed. I feel pathetic saying that, because I only live down the road from where I work, so I set my alarm for quarter to eight. By anyone else's standards, that's already a lay-in!

I curse the traffic as I drive to work. If the traffic wasn't there, it would take me five minutes to drive. In the traffic, it takes me closer to twenty minutes. I plan to cycle to work in the summer.

I get in, and the first thing I do is check my emails. I usually have about ten new messages in the morning. The other editorial assistants say they can have up to fifty. I guess I haven't quite reached their level yet. This morning, I only had one email!

I spent most of the morning photocopying and circulating the paperwork for PCM on Thursday. PCM stands for... Project Commissioning Meeting... I think... I attend these meetings with the editors I work for.

Then I jumped on the train into London. I was meeting one of our authors with the Business editor I work for. But the author didn't show up! He had sent an email to Editor cancelling the meeting, but Editor didn't receive the email in time. Oh well. We had lunch in a cafe, anyway. I got the train back to base. At least I got out of the office for a bit.

For most of the rest of the day, I was finding replacement web links to go on one of our book's website. Web links to external sites often go out of date, so we have to make sure we keep up.

All of this was punctuated with lots of cups of tea. And one cookie. It's all about the cookie... Remember that.

3 comments:

  1. Yes, those cookies can be life savers. As for the job, I'm very interested in what you and other Editorial Assistants do. I'd love to see more posts revealing the secret life of the E.A.

    Keep em coming :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sophie, just a quick note to tell you I've nominated you for an award on my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh yes cookies can be lifesavers on some occasions. This is my first visit to your blog but I would definitely be interested in reading more about the job of an Editorial assistant. I work in marketing and PR for publishing so be interesting to read the other view.

    Kate xx
    http://secretofficeconfessions.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...