Friday, 15 January 2010

Newbie No Longer?

One of the editorial assistants at Pearson, Jess, will be moving to Penguin in The Strand, London, as of Tuesday. Today was her last day at Pearson. Pearson own Penguin, so she's technically staying in the same company. It's very exciting as she's gone from being an editorial assistant for nearly two years, straight to editor.

At Pearson, Jess worked on the Humanities list. Today, while we toasted Jess with a glass of wine over at her desk, I saw a few of the books on that list. Books on Tarenito and Hitchcock, Shakespeare and Grammar... Those are my kind of books! A very small part of me wanted to request to be moved to that list... But I've just settled in the Business and Nursing lists, and feel like I'm getting to grips with it and getting to know the authors and the projects, so there's no way I'll request to move any time soon. Plus, the editors I work for, Matthew and David, are great guys and they have told me how much they appreciate my help! It would be a bit of a kick in the teeth.

So, there's an editorial assistant position open! I'll no longer be the newest one. I won't be at the bottom of the food chain any more! Nearly all the editorial assistants were promoted to assistant editors (yes, there's a difference!) at the beginning of this year. Obviously I wasn't as I've only been at Pearson three months.

I wonder where I'll be a year down the line. Assistant Editor? An Editor at Penguin? Or will I have ditched it all in for a Creative Writing MA? Who knows.

6 comments:

  1. Whichever path your career takes (and on its current course I'm sure it'll be glittering), I hope you keep posting about it. As a writer, I find it fascinating to see the world of books from a professional publisher's point of view.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If you do that MA, I'd like to hear about that too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sophie, it's Jack Clark here. I've been reading your blog and I'm very glad you're doing so well.

    However, don't get ahead of yourself: you're doing very well, but I think careers don't move quite so blindingly fast, no matter how talented you are.

    To be honest, I think one of the best things you've been doing lately is playing a part in outside-Pearson anthologies (didn't you edit one?) I figure unless there's something in your pearson contract that prevents it you should try and do more anthologies because, as you said, while you're not working on the humanities sector at pearson there's no reason why you can't do it off your own back.

    Sorry if this advice sounds curt - I mean it with the best intentions. I'm so pleased that you're in a career you really enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad things are going well for you.

    I've never heard of Jack Clark but he speaks sense. You did a decent job on that 200 word anthology, but perhaps it'd be worth doing a full blown themed jobby.

    Maybe BSS could point you in the direction of some good publishing houses.

    New job, anthologies, novels...shit! Your gonna be busy.

    ART

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barry, I'm glad you're enjoying the blog. Always a pleasure to have you stopping by!

    Hi Jack, I had no idea that you've been following the blog, but it's nice to hear that you have been - so thanks. (Jack is a friend from uni, for everyone who is wondering!) You know, I never really thought about doing more freelance editing... That's something I'd be really quite interested in doing. I'm just not sure how to go about it.

    But Rich, as you said, maybe I'll have a work with BSS (she is the co-editor for Blank Ink Horror magazine, who Rich and I know from a writing forum, for those who don't know her).

    ReplyDelete
  6. That's such a good feeling to be free from newbie status lol. I think you ought to offer your services for that genre department. What's the worst that could happen, they say no?

    Go for your dreams!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...