Tuesday, 22 December 2009

Writing Resolution


A new year is drawing closer. It's almost time again to start feeling guilty about the Christmas binge, resolve to be healthier, be more productive, be... a 'better' person. And then feel terrible when we slip back into habits (or, normality).

So this year I'm setting myself only one writing target:

Write at least 500 words a week.

This is based on these three rules of resolution setting:

1. Set a realistic goal. Change something small that will have a big impact.

2. Set a measurable goal.
Writing 500 words a week is more solid that just 'writing more'. Unmeasurable goals lack focus, and are quickly abandoned.

3. Don't over-burden yourself. There may be a lot of targets you want to set yourself, but if you set yourself too many, you'll become disheartened if you don't acheive them all.


Good luck in your goals for next year. If you've set yourself some, please share what they are in the comments - I'd be interested to hear. If you haven't set any, any particular reason why not?

6 comments:

  1. I'm convinced I can take over the world and run a half marathon at the moment. I always find word goals an excellent motivator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year, Sophie. Your goals sound good stuff. I will FINISH THE BLOODY NOVEL!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I try to set goals, I seem to go in the opposite direction. I say I'll eat better, then suddenly I find myself dipping my french fries in mayonaise lol. (Not really, but you get the idea)

    So, maybe I'll trick the fate of the universe and say my goal is to not write anymore. Then maybe I'll not only write more, but I'll finish my novels hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cate - trying to take over the world, huh? Not if I get there first!

    Vanessa - Good luck with the novel. Can't wait to see the finished project, so hurry up! ;)

    Voidwalker - interesting tactic - I like it.

    Merry Christmas to you all.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the motivation.

    I won't be setting any realistic goals, however. I think reaslistic goals have made me lazy. I think 3,000 words a week is doable so I'm pushing to do 4,000 a week for the month of January.

    If I can pull it off or get close, then I can reset my goals so that I can do some more guest posting and finish my book early :)

    Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Cap,

    Good luck with the goal. I've set word limits before and always seem to be too ambitious.

    Yours sounds realistic and doable.

    I hope it works out!

    ART

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...