Tuesday, 1 September 2009

Review: Words from a Glass Bubble - by Vanessa Gebbie


Just like a certain famous ogre, this book is like an onion: it has layers. These short stories have more depth to them than first meets the eye, and they leave quite an impact. They will make you cry, too, sometimes - both tears of laughter and tears of sadness.

Don't be fooled by the innocent skipping girl on the front cover. Even though many of these stories are poetic and subtle, some of them are gritty and dark.

It took me quite a while to read this book, simply because I wanted to savour each story. I can certainly see why Vanessa has won so many prizes for her short fiction.

Thank you, Vanessa, for my signed hardback copy - I will treasure it. In a climate where most emerging authors are discouraged to write short story collections, you are an inspiration.

Buy it here:

Words from a Glass Bubble (Salt Modern Fiction)

4 comments:

  1. Sophie, what a lovely review. Thank you so much. And congrats on the BA - Well done you star, you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're welcome, Vanessa. I'm sorry I took so long to read it! (I also have a bad habit of reading several books at once.)

    I posted the review on Amazon, too. It wouldn't let me post it on the hardback page for some reason, so I posted it on the new paperback one. (And again, congrats on the paperback version!)

    It really was a great read. Thanks again for the copy. I plan to buy something else from Salt Publishing soon - any recommendations?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cool review Sophie! And way to go Vanessa!

    Going to nip over there and buy myself a copy.

    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOOH where to start with Salt. Hmm. if you can buy one book only, go for Ballistics, by Alex Keegan. But try stretching to two, and get Nude by Nuala ni Chonchuir, and then three - The White Road and other Stories by Tania Hershman. All superb.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...