Friday, 4 September 2009

Review: Inglourious Basterds


I like Tarantino's style, most of the time. I'm not usually a fan of war films, so I didn't let myself get too excited about this film. Tarantino, however, has created one hell of a movie.

The story builds scene by brilliant scene. Tarantino has a knack for taking his time with a scene while subtly building the tension until you realise that you're holding your breath. He has great control over human reaction and interaction - something that I loved about Dusk Til Dawn. And man, are there some great characters in Ingloirous Basterds.

Tarantino is famous for his vanity and boldness: he does what HE wants with a movie. And you know what? It works. The soundtrack, the humour, the dialogue, changing the course of history... It could have all fallen apart so easily, but everything in this film works so brilliantly to create something stylistic and original.

The only downsides to this film were that I couldn't understand half of what Brad Pitt's character was saying... and that they really took the piss out of the English. But oh well, I can forgive that. Every now and then I thought that the Nazis said some things that they probably wouldn't have (e.g. Col. Hans Landa saying that he could 'think like a Jew' - a Nazi probably wouldn't want to admit that they are like a Jew in any way; and another Nazi mentioned 'Hitler's propaganda' - they would see it as information, not propaganda, which has more negative connotations. But I guess I'm being picky.)

Anyway, go see this film. It's brilliant. I do find it slightly worrying that I was quite absorbed in the last scene whereas everyone else in the cinema were reeling with disgust.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...