Monday, 1 June 2009

A Room of One's Own

As an unimployed bum who has just finished university and moved back into the parental house, I can't afford my own place. The only private space I have to write in is my bedroom.

I live in a recently built area which contains modern houses and appartments of all shapes and sizes. Every so often tour buses come round to see the innovative housing designs. I am extreemely jealous of the rows of houses which have connecting office buildings to them. How I dream of having my own little office where I can house shelves and shelves of books, a propper writing desk and a comfy chair.

I spend most of my time sitting in bed with my laptop burning my thighs. It's not practical. It makes me feel sluggish. I don't really want to spend all my time in bed.



My desk isn't very suitable for writing. It's more of a storage unit. In fact, it used to be a display unit in my dad's workshop. We replaced the glass top with MDF and painted it, and I've had it in my bedroom for about ten years. I considered removing some of the drawers to create an area I could fit my legs, or cutting the desk in two to make it easier to fit all my furniture in... but I couldn't bear to accidently destroy it.



This weekend I've mostly been sitting in the garden. I tried to do a little writing, and got a rough opening for a short story down, but the sunshine just makes me sleepy.



I read that a good writer can write anywhere. But I think that if you write a lot, for most of the day, a specific writing place can only be a good thing.

What do you think? Is it important to have a specific place to write? Where do you like to do your writing? (Post a photo of your writing area if you like.)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...